Academic Catalog 2024-2025

Fees and Expenses

Resident Status

Students enrolled at the University can be classified as resident, nonresident, or foreign. All students attending Texas Southern University who are nonresidents of Texas will be charged additional tuition in accordance with state law. The burden of registering under proper resident status is the responsibility of the student. Nonresidents are persons who are residing in the State of Texas fewer than twelve (12) months immediately preceding their initial registration.

A request for a change of resident status for tuition purposes should be made as soon as the student has met the requirements for residency change, but no later than the fourth (4th) class day for a summer session or the twelfth (12th) class day for a fall or spring semester. Changes made after the 4th/12th class days will apply only for future semesters. All required documents must accompany the Residency Application form, which is available in the Office of the Registrar on the second floor of Bell Hall.

The determination of resident classification for tuition purposes is governed by statutes enacted by the Texas Legislature and by rules and regulations promulgated by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. These regulations may be reviewed in the Robert J. Terry University Library in the Reserved area.

Required Residency Documentation

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board requires that Texas Southern University document each student’s residency. In order to apply for Texas residency status for tuition purposes, one must be either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. The following documents indicating that the student has resided in the State of Texas for twelve (12) continuous months prior to registration may be required:

Documentation to Support Domicile and Residency

The following documentation may be requested by the institution in order to resolve issues raised by responses to the Core Residency Questions. The listed documents may be used to establish that the person is domiciled in Texas and has maintained a residence in Texas continuously for twelve (12) months prior to the census date.

Part A: Documentation That Can Support the Establishment of a Domicile and Demonstrate the Maintenance of a Residence in Texas for 12 Months

An employer’s statement of dates of employment (beginning and current or ending dates) that encompass at least 12 months. Other documents that show the person has been engaged in activities intended to provide an income to a person or allow a person to avoid the expense of paying another person to perform the tasks (as in child care or the maintenance of a home) may also be used, as well as documents that show the person is self-employed or employed as a homemaker or is living off his/her earnings or through public assistance. Student employment such as work-study and the receipt of stipends, fellowships or research or teaching assistantships does not qualify as a basis for establishing a domicile.

For a homeless person, written statements from the office of one or more social service agencies located in Texas that attest to the provision of services to the homeless person for the twelve (12) months prior to the census date of the term in which the person enrolls.

Part B: Documentation Which (if accomplished and maintained for the 12 months prior to the census date of the term in which the person enrolls and if accompanied by at least ONE type of document listed in Part C) Can Support the Establishment of a Domicile and Demonstrate the Maintenance of a Residence in Texas for 12 Months:

  • Title to real property in Texas
  • Marriage certificate with documentation to support that spouse is a domiciliary of Texas
  • Ownership of business in Texas with documents that evidence the organization or the business as a partnership or corporation and reflect the ownership interest of the person or dependent’s parent
  • State or local licenses to conduct a business or practice a profession in this state.

Part C: Documents That May Be Used to Demonstrate Maintenance of a Residence for 12 Months

These documents do not show the establishment of a domicile. They only support a person’s claim to have resided in the state for at least 12 months. Activities in Part A and B of this Chart may be used to establish a domicile.

  • Utility bills for the 12 months preceding the census date
  • A Texas high school transcript for a full senior year of attendance preceding the census date
  • A transcript from a Texas institution showing presence in the state for the 12 months preceding the census date
  • A Texas driver’s license or Texas ID card with an expiration date of not more than four years
  • Cancelled checks that reflect a Texas residence for the 12 months preceding the census date
  • A current credit report that documents the length and place of residence of the person or the dependent’s parent
  • Texas voter registration card that has not expired
  • Pay stubs for the 12 months preceding the census date
  • Bank statements reflecting a Texas address for the 12 months preceding the census date
  • Ownership of real property with copies of utility bills for the 12 months preceding the census date
  • Registration or verification from licensor, showing Texas address for licensee
  • Written statements from the office of one or more social service agencies, attesting to the provision of services for at least the 12 months preceding the census date
  • Lease or rental of real property, other than campus housing, in the name of the person or the dependent’s parent for the 12 months preceding the census date

Photocopies of the above items are required with the completed application. Students who do not provide required documentation will be charged nonresident tuition.

If there is a question of a student’s legal resident status under state law and University rules, it is the duty of the student to obtain an opinion from the Student Resident Status Advisor prior to registration. Any attempt on the part of the nonresident to evade the nonresident fee will be taken seriously and may lead to expulsion. Nonresident students are given official notice of their nonresident classification at the time of admission. A student who is classified as a nonresident but who pays the resident fee at any subsequent registration after he or she has been officially advised in writing of nonresident status will receive a penalty of loss of credit.

Tuition and Fees

The University reserves the right to adjust fees without prior notice. A list of tuition and regular fees to be paid by all students enrolled for any semester hours is available through the Office of Student Accounting. In addition to these fees, one should add estimates of special laboratory fees and the cost of books and supplies to arrive at an approximate total amount needed at the time of registration.

All payments to the University can be made online , by credit card, cashier’s check, money order, or personal check made payable to Texas Southern University. Personal checks will not be accepted for any amount in excess of the total amount due. Postdated checks will not be accepted. There will be a $25.00 charge for each check returned for any reason. Temporary checks are unacceptable.


In all colleges and schools of the University except the Thurgood Marshall School of Law and the College of Pharmacy and Health Science, each student who is a resident of the State of Texas is required to pay statutory tuition at a rate of $100.00 per credit hour. A nonresident or foreign student is required to pay statutory tuition at a rate set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Information on specific rates may be secured from the Office of Student Accounting.

Designated Tuition

The Building Use Fee, of a prorated amount per semester hour, is charged to all students. This fee is used to construct, equip, repair, and renovate buildings and facilities.


The Differential Designated Tuition is an additional tuition charge established by the TSU Board of Regents for colleges to cover additional costs of providing instruction.

Graduate School Services Tuition Fee

The Graduate School Services Tuition fee is an additional fee assessed to fund fellowships and support administrative costs in the Graduate School.

Student Service Fee

The Student Service Fee is used to support certain extracurricular activities, such as student publications, special cultural programs, the marching band, and the athletic programs. This fee also provides for general health counseling, minor medication, and treatment in the Student Health Center. It does not include special medicines, dental care, treatment by specialists, or hospitalization. The amount of the fee depends on the number of credit hours for which the student is enrolled, and it is charged to all students enrolled at the University during a regular semester. Students enrolled for 12 or more credit hours in each of both semesters of a school year are entitled to receive one copy of the University annual. Students enrolled full-time for only one semester may also receive the annual by paying an additional fee.

Student Center Fee

The Student Center Fee is used for operating, maintaining, improving, and equipping the Student Center and acquiring or constructing additions to the Student Center.

Library Service Fee

The Library Service Fee is used for operating, maintaining, improving, and equipping the Robert J. Terry Library and for providing library services to students.

International Education Fee

The International Education Fee is used to assist students participating in international student exchange or study programs in accordance with guidelines jointly developed by the student governing body and University administration.

Recreational Facility Fee

The Recreational Facility Fee is used for constructing, operating, maintaining and equipping the recreational facilities and programs.

Intercollegiate Athletics Fee

The Intercollegiate Athletics Fee is imposed by the Board of Regents of Texas Southern University on each student enrolled at Texas Southern University. This fee is used to develop and maintain an intercollegiate athletics program at the University.

Medical Service Fee

The Medical Service Fee is used for operating, maintaining, improving, and equipping the medical service facility; acquiring and constructing additions to the medical service facility and providing medical services to students.

Computer Service Fee

The Computer Service Fee is assessed per semester to all students enrolled at the University to help support the provision of computer services to students. .

School Fee

The School Fee is assessed by each college or school to all students enrolled in its component major programs in order to support administrative costs.

Late Registration Fee

Texas Southern University reserves the right to conduct registration  according  to students’ last name, area of study, or any other delimiting factor. Students are required to register at the time indicated by the class schedule. Failure to complete registration on the date specified, but before the absolute deadline, may result in a late fee assessment.

Drop/Add Fee

A student making a course change or changes after payment of initial tuition and fees may be charged for each change.

Installment Handling Fees

Tuition and fees may be paid by one of two options:

  1. Full payment of tuition and fees by the twentieth day of class or
  2. Enrollment in the university installment plan by the 20th class day for the Fall and Spring semesters, or by the 15th class day for Summer semesters.

Students electing to pay their tuition and fees on the installment plan will be assessed a handling fee for the installment plan. Students are also assessed a fee for each delinquent payment. These fees are nonrefundable.

A student who fails to make full payment or a first installment payment of tuition and fees, including any incidental fees, by the due date may be barred from classes until full payment is made. A student who fails to make full payment prior to the end of the  semester may not receive credit for the work done that semester. University records may be adjusted to reflect the student’s failure  to enroll properly for that semester.

Late Payment Fee

A student who fails to pay tuition and fees by the posted deadline will be assessed a late payment fee.

Laboratory Fee

Fees are assessed for studio and laboratory courses in the following academic disciplines: art, biology, chemistry, education, geology, human services and consumer sciences, music, pharmacy, human performance, physics, and technology.

SEVIS International Fee

International students are required to pay an administration fee for University compliance with the federal student exchange system.

Orientation Fee

First-time students are required to pay a fee for the orientation program and related activities.

Health Insurance

Students enrolled for six (6) or more credit hours (three (3) hours for Summer sessions) are eligible to enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance plan. International students will automatically be enrolled and billed for the University- sponsored health insurance plan. Students can apply for waivers by providing proof of comparable health insurance by the 20th class day (15th class day for Summer sessions).

Room and Board

Residence hall occupants will be required to sign a Housing-Food Service Contract for the entire academic year before being admitted to the facilities. The Housing-Food Services Contract  is personal and may not be transferred  or assigned to another person. Any violator  will be subject to immediate disciplinary  action. Room and Board charges are assessed on an annual basis.

Parking Fee

Students who need to park vehicles in designated student lots on the campus must pay for parking decals to attach to their vehicles. These decals will indicate the parking lot. This fee is assessed on a semester or term basis. Refunds for parking fees must be applied for separately through the Department of Public Safety.

Other Fee(s)

Other fees, not specified in this section, may be charged by colleges, schools, departments, or other offices at the University. Students will be apprised of these fees and their designated purposes at the time that they are incurred.

Tuition and Associated Fees

Students should refer to the University website for updated information regarding tuition and fees. The Graduate School provides tuition fellowships for a limited number of students nominated by their programs to work as teaching or research assistants. For more information students should consult their academic departments.

Graduation Fees

The graduation fee for graduate students is $50.00. Additional processing fees including processing fees for thesis or dissertation may apply. Graduation fees are subject to change. Fees are due and payable at the time of one’s application for graduation. Once paid, the graduation application fee cannot be refunded or transferred to another graduation period.

Student Records (transcripts) may not be released if:

  1. All records are not on file in the University Registrar’s Office.
  2. The requesting student has not cleared all bills (academic or financial).
  3. The requesting student has a record hold imposed by the Office of Financial Aid or the Office of General Counsel.
  4. Transcript fee has not been paid.

Regulations Governing Refunds

Dropped Courses

Any student who drops courses within the first twelve (12) days of a Fall or Spring semester or within the first four (4) days of a summer term and remains enrolled in the University will receive refunds applicable to tuition paid for those courses. 

Date Percent
On or before the twelfth class day (fourth class day for Summer) 100%
After the twelfth class day (fourth class day for Summer) 0%


Students who officially withdraw from the University during the Fall or Spring semester will receive a refund calculated according to the following percentage schedule. For withdrawal percentages for Summer terms, please check the Student Accounting website for the applicable percentage.

Date Percent
Prior to the first day 100%
During the first week of class 80%
During the second week of class 70%
During the third week of class 50%
During the fourth week of class 25%
After the fourth week of class 0%

Students who drop/withdraw from courses and are not indebted to the University should expect to receive checks by mail after the fourth week of class during a regular semester and after the third week of class during a summer term. Students who pay fees through financial aid/assistance (including federal student loans) will receive refunds only if the Office of Student Financial Assistance determines that refunds are due.

Students who register for courses that are either paid for directly or paid through the use of financial aid/assistance are considered enrolled at the University until they officially withdraw through the Office of the University Registrar. Ceasing to attend classes or stopping payment of checks for fees owed without officially withdrawing from the University will result in semester grades of “F”. Thus, any remaining balance owed to the University by a student who ceases to attend classes, but who does not officially withdraw through the Office of the University Registrar, is still due and NOT subject to reduction.

Room and Board Fees

Dormitory residents are required to sign a Housing/Food Service Contract for the entire academic year. The University’s policy concerning refunds associated with room and board fees is stated in the contract. Where refunds are applicable, application for such refunds must be made within one year after official withdrawal.

Financial Obligations

Students who are indebted to the University for any amount may not be permitted to graduate, receive transcripts, re-enroll at the University, or receive any refunds. 

Students who fail to make full payment of all university charges by the established payment deadlines may be subject to:

  • Financial holds
  • Withholding of transcripts
  • Denial of subsequent registration for future classes